COVID-19 Vaccine FAQs
When will Pharmaca receive the COVID-19 vaccine?
Vaccines will be made available through Pharmaca based on the prioritization schedule set by the government. We hope to have an update for our customers soon.
Do I have to pay for the COVID-19 vaccine?
No. As part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act, patients do not have to pay for the vaccine, regardless of their health insurance status.
Which COVID-19 vaccine will Pharmaca administer?
Currently, we have not received that information, but we will keep you updated as soon as we have an answer.
Do I need an appointment to get a COVID-19 vaccine?
Yes, even with the vaccine, we still want to ensure everyone at our stores practices safe social distancing. To keep you safe, we will only accept scheduled appointments during the initial roll out of the vaccine. Once we get the vaccine, you will be able to schedule your appointment online. Check back here frequently.
How many doses do I need?
At this time, all but one of the COVID-19 vaccines that are in phase three clinical trials or were granted Emergency Use Authorization in the U.S. need two shots to be effective. The other COVID-19 vaccine uses one shot. To ensure you receive full protection, if the vaccine requires two doses, we ask that you schedule your second dose appointment when you visit Pharmaca for your first dose.
How does the COVID-19 vaccine work?
The COVID-19 vaccine exposes your body to an antigen that creates an immune response that will block or kill the virus if you become infected. This is how all vaccines are designed to work.
Why did the COVID-19 take months instead of years to develop?
For some vaccines, it takes many years for development and approval, but the COVID-19 vaccine had a unique set of circumstances that allowed for speedier development.
- We were able to rely on data from the SARS-CoV-1 and MERS CoV vaccines, which made the initial development stage much faster.
- The U.S. government gave pharmaceutical companies an emergency authority to begin the manufacturing process simultaneously with the clinical trial.
- Manufacturing is usually scaled substantially after trials have concluded, but Operation Warp Speed has enabled manufacturers to de-risk and build manufacturing alongside clinical trials.
- Given the urgency of this pandemic, more participants were willing to partake in the clinical trials, which helped prove efficacy more quickly.
- Cutting-edge manufacturing technologies allowed pharmaceutical companies to quickly produce a supply of vaccines.
Is the COVID-19 vaccine safe?
We will only administer vaccines approved by the FDA or approved for emergency use. Pharmaca’s trained team of pharmacists will store, handle and administer the vaccine in adherence to official CDC guidance.
Please stay safe and healthy. We look forward to serving you. To find the nearest Pharmaca to you, please visit our store locator.